Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Tale of Two Koreas



I'm in Shanghai! Right now it's really late and we are waking up early to go back to the Expo tomorrow, so I can't write up a full recap of the first day. But there were some interesting things that happened...

Our flight from Shenzhen to Shanghai was delayed - and it was not just any ordinary delay. It was caused by the military exercises that South Korea and the U.S. are jointly practicing just off the Korean peninsula. Here's a link to an article about this.

I think this is the first time such an international incident directly affected a part of my life, albeit not in a very drastic way. Still, I can understand now why China feels threatened sometimes by the U.S., even though the military drills are supposed to be defensive. They are happening right by the coast, and if anything were to happen China would definitely be affected.


So we didn't make it to the Expo until 5PM, which was just as well since then we were able to purchase the half-day tickets. I will recap everything that we saw and did in the next post. There were crowds at all of the major pavilions, such as China and Saudi Arabia. I decided to go view some of the not-so-popular pavilions. The first that popped to mind was North Korea.


Yep, it was pretty empty compared to the other pavilions. So it was late at night, but many other pavilions still had lines waiting outside. The North Korean pavilion was also really small, with only one room and one floor, and there was not too much to look at. Oh well, at least I can say I went to the North Korean pavilion.

Okay, more tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I would have liked to visit the N.K pavilion too...though wonder why it was so unpopular? Isn't it like the source of all talks? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I guess because there's not too much to see since it is a pretty poor country.

    ReplyDelete